Thursday, November 20, 2014

Reading - for beginners

Some time back, on a public forum, a non-reader has asked for some good books to be recommended. In tune with my own tastes, I suggested a few authors. However, the person felt that the content of the books were - at times - explicit and hence, not suitable for young readers. Now, although I did not feel then, that Archer, Sheldon and Grisham were explicit authors, I understand the discomfiture that a person would feel in reading a 'single' line of 'such content' in a 500 page novel.

A few days back, one of the teachers at my organization recommended 'Enid Blyton' to some first time readers. And that switched on the light bulb in my head!

Of course! The count less hours of fun that I had (when I was 6-7 years old) with Malory Towers, The Famous Five and the Secret Seven was amazing. This was the right kind of content to be recommended to someone who was ultra-prudish about the 'morality' of the content of 'those English type books'.

What did I do next? Well, as anyone who knows me would predict, I logged on to my favorite e-commerce website (no free promos for them here) and ordered entire box sets of Malory Towers, The Famous Five, The Secret Seven and The Naughtiest Girl at School.

JFYI, I've been devouring these books at the rate of about 1.5 books per day!

No comments:

Post a Comment