Friday, October 31, 2014

Learning - the teaching method

Students often come to me with their grievances about different subject.

Sir, I can't understand the concept of Simple and Compound Interest!
Sir, it is difficult to remember so much GK and Current Affairs!
Sir, how to solve this puzzle? I just can't understand reasoning!

Well, as they say, there is a solution for every problem. Here's an innovative method of learning. I've seen this method being used in the past by some of my friends (well, I have used this technique myself... and believe me, it works!)

Teach the topic that you can't seem to learn.

Huh! Are you crazy? My complain is that I can't learn the topic... and you are asking to TEACH the same to others?

Well, here's how this system works for me.

A group of friends sit and divide the entire syllabus among themselves. Each individual takes a certain amount of responsibility for teaching certain topics to others. It does not matter whether you are good at that topic or not. In fact, if you are weak in certain areas, all the more reason to take up the responsibility of teaching the same.

Now, fix a schedule for teaching/discussing those topics in the group.

The person who has taken the onus of 'teaching' a certain topic must not only teach the fundamentals of the topic to others, but also solve most - if not all - the problems in the corresponding exercise.

Once you know that others are depending upon you to 'learn' something, you will try your best to understand the topic from its roots. As you start explaining the topic to others, you discover that the topic is not all that hard as it seemed before. When responsibility of 'teaching' a topic rests on your shoulders, you are more involved in the subject which leads to better conceptual clarity.

Consciously or otherwise, you start discovering new methods of solving problems and gain confidence in the same.

The reason why many teachers are good at solving questions that you find tough is not just their intelligence, but also the repetition that they do in explaining the concepts and problems to more than one student.

Try it. It works!

No comments:

Post a Comment